Currently, medical education programs leading to the MD degree in Canada are accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) and the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS). Effective July 1, 2025, CACMS will become the sole accrediting body for medical schools in Canada. When this change takes effect, it will likely modify USMLE registration and ECFMG Certification requirements for students and graduates of Canadian medical schools. Additional information will be provided on the USMLE and ECFMG websites as it becomes available.
Who is Eligible to Take the USMLE Steps?
Step 1 and Step 2 CK
To be eligible, you must be in one of the following categories at the time you apply AND on the day of your examination:
- A medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a US or Canadian medical school program leading to the MD degree that is accredited by the LCME, OR
- A medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a US medical school leading to the DO degree that is accredited by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA), OR
- A medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a medical school that is outside the US and Canada, listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools as meeting ECFMG eligibility requirements, and that meets other eligibility criteria of the ECFMG.
Eligibility requirements for Step 3 are:
- Passing scores on Step 1 and Step 2 CK, AND
- An MD degree or the DO degree from an LCME- or COCA-accredited US or Canadian medical school, OR the equivalent of the MD degree from a medical school outside the US and Canada that is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools as meeting ECFMG eligibility requirements and obtain ECFMG Certification, AND
- Meet all other eligibility criteria as listed in the USMLE Bulletin of Information
The USMLE program recommends that, for Step 3 eligibility, applicants should have completed, or be near completion of, at least one postgraduate training year in an accredited US graduate medical education program that meets state board licensing requirements.